NYC Science Communication Newsletter-4 September 2017
By Zhaohui Yang
- It is official on NYC SciComm – Welcome New President, Jaclyn Kubala
NYC SciComm announces new President, Jaclyn Kubala, PhD candidate at Weill Cornell Medicine, to lead the group and serve our members in the next 1~2 years. We hope to achieve the following goals:
- Create more opportunities for our members to develop leadership skills
- Build and expand professional networks
- Improve science communication skills
- Build writing and editing portfolio to define professional identity
We aspire to help you grow no matter where you are and where you want to be. So why the waiting? Come join NYC SciComm and start your dream today!
- JOB POST
The School of Engineering & Applied Science at the University of Virginia seeks applicants for Director of its new Graduate Writing Lab. The incumbent will work with the Director and Assistant Director of Graduate Education toward the planning, development, and organization of this School-wide initiative to provide grammatical, structural, and technical writing support to graduate students and research associates.
A PhD in any STEM field is preferred with at least 5 years of experience advising or mentoring students.
To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0621626. Complete a Staff Application online, attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references. The position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to Shannon Barker, email@example.com
- Want Attention? Here’s Advice from an Expert Headhunter by Jiye Son, July 14, 2017
- Get Ready to Leave Your Comfort Zone! Insights and Practical Advice for Developing Your Elevator Pitch by Justin Calise, May 19, 2017
- Newton was a Scientist- but is Hollywood Brave Enough to Show that? by Lo Bear-McGuinnes, April 21, 2017
- A Guide for NYC Science Communication Bloggers and Editors by Tristan Fehr and Yue Liu, March 17, 2017
- Content Science Review: Inspiration and Insight for Content Professionals. This webinar presentation explains what Content Science Review is — and what it’s not. If you’re a writer looking to expand your influence, you’ll learn how you can pitch story ideas to the editors.
– Panel Discussion followed by Cocktail Reception (no cost to attend).
– Sept. 13, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm, New York Genome Center.
– Johnson & Johnson Innovation, JLABS Pitch Deck Workshop
(no cost, pre-registration required; light lunch provided).
– Sept. 21, 11 am – 1 pm, New York Genome Center.
Contributors: Yue Liu, Rania Naoum, Rich Allan